Click "read more" to check your answers.
1. I don't have a brother / I haven't got a brother.
2. He likes pizza.
3. I go to the gym every day.
4. I'm reading a good book at the moment.
5. My parents live in London.
6. Sue doesn't like chocolate.
Most common mistakes
1. He like pizza. NOT correct.
A lot of students forget to change the grammar for he, she or it. They know that there should be an -s on the end and they know to use doesn't instead of don't but it's not easy to remember to do it. Even high-level students make this mistake.
2. My parents lives in London. Not correct.
There is no -s when the subject is plural (more than one). Be careful with irregular plurals too. The children like pizza or the children likes pizza? The first one is correct because children is plural.
3. I haven't a brother. NOT correct.
Haven't is not usually used in the present simple in modern English. The negative of have is don't have or haven't got. In fact, have behaves the same way as most other verbs: like - don't like, know - don't know, have - don't have. Haven't is used in the present perfect.
4. I'm going to the gym every day. NOT correct.
We use the present simple for things that are always true and for habits and routines. We use present continuous for temporary activities or activities that are in progress and not finished. We don't use the present continuous for habits.
About the blog
Follow the blog for mini lessons and tips on how to improve your English.